Purely because my love for Banana Milk is just that big...

Also, I like writing heaps of stuff

Friday, February 4, 2011

The injustice of disassociation...

So... you know all those floods and stuff up in Queensland and everywhere else right?
Chances are we're all deeply moved by what's happened, and our sympathies all lie with those affected people right now.
I'm one of those people.
But, despite this, you can never truly understand until it's happened to you.

Sure, I'm sorry that the floods have all happened to those around the country.
I wish I could help in some way, and yeah, you've all heard all that before.
But I maintain that no matter what, in just about any situation, unless it's happening right at your doorstep, you'll always disassociate yourself in some way or another.

I know there's poverty around the world.
I know that Australia has been hit hard by disasters.
I know that there's a large chance it's not going to go away for ages.
I know it's been happening for years.
However, I also know that because I live so far away from it, I'm under the impression I can't do a thing to stop it.

That's why disassociation sucks.
It's taken me staying at my friends house, and seeing their house and street get covered in water, for me to even somehow comprehend what those already affected have been going through.
All the fear,
the worry,
the loss,
the energy.
All that, and I haven't been able to even consider understanding it until it's happened in some way directly to me.

Sure, it's not my personal property that got damaged.
It's not my house.
But I helped clear a couple of houses of water, including the houses of people I've never even seen before in my life.
It just opens your eyes to be a part of it.
Which is why I believe disassociation sucks... because there are people out there, like me, who are capable of helping those in need, but won't until it happens to them.
And it's just not going to happen to a lot of people...

No comments:

Post a Comment